Sunday, November 4, 2012

I ain't no Rosa Parks!

This happened on the weekend before Halloween but I'm just getting around to blogging it. That I still remember I want to blog it and am still thinking about it shows how much it stuck out.

We went trick or treating downtown (see previous post). We walked quite a ways from our car at some point and as you'll see in the photo all I had was the baby in a carrier. I didn't feel like carrying the diaper bag even if it was an easy backpack. When we had crossed under the overpass where the train is to the other side of town I saw my husband and he was eating at a restaurant there so we decided to eat with him so that we could spend some time with him on this holiday. Well it had easily been 2-3 hours since Ezra had eaten and he never goes that long. He will only go that long if I'm wearing him. So we sat down to eat and he was hungry as well. I had not brought my cover and even though I have fed Ezra without a cover quite a few times I USUALLY have my cover. I feed him at parks, quiet corners, home, friends/relatives house, Applebee's nurse-in without a cover. Let me pause...


To give you some background I recently read about how to maintain your bfing relationship and it was explained like this in the book. If you visited a buffet that you really liked but every time you went they asked you a million questions before you got to eat like "Are you sure? Maybe you want to eat something else? Why do you want that? Why do you want to eat now? Can you wait?..." that as much as you liked it you probably wouldn't go back. You'd go to the buffet you liked less but was easier to get (table food). So as I tried to appease Ezra with table food so I wouldn't have to nurse without a cover in a crowded restaurant with my husbands work guy friends I remembered this article and just thought screw it, and I breastfed him without a cover. The sky didn't fall. The room didn't spin. No cops were called. No one yelled or stared or even saw. It was all uneventful. None of my husbands friends even noticed and my dh barely noted it as he walked out. Nothing was showing and Ezra was appeased with his favorite buffet. :)

Skip forward to Halloween day. We decide to meet Foy at Golden Corral. Not my fav place but I'm kinda sick of everything here so it was that. Foy helped me get the kids out of the car and I told him to grab the diaper bag because it had the nursing cover and Ezra was gonna be hungry. As we walked in, Foy asked where I would like to sit. I had Ezra, Sophie and then me and Foy. I picked a table (because I can't nurse in a booth) close to the food..uh, because I like to eat food and be close to it, lol. He said, Why don't we sit in the back? I said, Why? He said, You know......don't you wanna? Wouldn't it be better.

I realized he meant that because I was gonna nurse Ezra WITH A COVER, MIND YOU that we should sit in the back away from people. Oh, I lost my cool. I was like, What am I? Some kind of 3rd rate citizen? I ain't Rosa Parks! Ezra and I don't have to sit on the back of the bus because him eating makes you or others uncomfortable. I was causing a little scene (so what) and he just wanted to hush me up so he was like sssh,, shhh, we'll sit wherever and wanted me to drop it...so I did. But at the end of our lunch I brought it up in a calmer way. I told him about the buffet analogy. I think I HOPE he understands now. I won't be made to sit in the back or feel ashamed or hide because I give my baby the food that is perfectly made for him and delivered in a God given way. I have prepared myself to stand up to other people because they may try to make me feel this way but it was so disloyal of my husband to have him make me feel this way. I can't perfectly put it into words...I hated having to defend me, my rights, my baby's right to eat to him. Not him of all people. :*(

This calls for a breastfeeding share!

He falls asleep and sleeps peacefully after he nurses. He loves to pile up on his milkies. <3 td="td">

This makes me laugh every time! He loves to nurse standing up. Silly boy. I love his silly nursing antics. :)

A hungry little lion gets the best food on earth for him. I love it. 

No comments: