Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Life Ain't A Crap Shoot

So we had a PTO meeting tonight and this guy that's in charge of the games ...rubs me the wrong way. I don't think I like him at all. The prizes last year (cuz that's the only year I've been there) were  all equally...small, pitiful and childish, lol. BUT they were equal. He has this idea to play this game (something about rolling a dice) and if you win you get a bigger prize than just the 'consolation' prize. I said I thought all the prizes should be equal and he said he had a problem with that because that's not what life is like. I stopped there because I didn't want to argue with the man BUT...

what I wanted to say was.... Yes, life is about hard work. With hard work you get rewarded hopefully.  Yes we don't all get the same things in life. We don't all get BIG prizes but most of what we get is related to how hard we work for what we got. What he's talking about is a game of chance..gambling. Yes, in gambling ..luck matters. It's random and has nothing to do with working hard to achieve a goal. So, I want to teach my children that we don't all get the same 'prize' in life BUT they can work harder to achieve more with hard work, dedication and the right moral values and principles. I'm not going to teach them to depend on a roll of dice and a game of chance and a reward that might come that way because that's few and far between SO if he had been talking about a game that my kids could work harder at, practice more and win that way then I'd say..whatever, reward the winners but we're talking about gambling. I won't teach my kids that life's a crap shoot...sometimes you hit the BIG prize and sometimes we're stuck with the consolation cuz that's just not true. Yeah, sometimes you work hard and it doesn't pay off but most of the time it does.

My husband works hard for our money. He doesn't sit around and roll a dice and wait for money to come our way. I get off my butt and wash clothes, clean house, cook meals and take my kids to every freakin' thing in the world...I don't sit around and scratch lottery tickets. Hey, it would be great if it worked that way though! Which brings me to another point, this guy looks like a big LOSER. What exactly does he do that he can make every PTO meeting....probably nothing. Good example...

No comments: