Saturday, August 2, 2008

Open Ended Questions

Do you know what an open-ended question is? Well, I'll be happy to tell you either way. It's a question that has to have an answer other than yes or no. For example, "Can I have marshmallows or cookies for a snack?" This is what my 4 year old daughter asked me today. My, where do you think she learned this wonderful skill? I mean, she didn't ask if she could have a snack when she got home. (Because the answer would have been no. Snack time is 2pm not 8pm.) She learned it from ME. I have found this to be a handy tool with my children. To avoid arguments and upset, I ask an open ended question so I can get the results I want. It leaves out all unwanteds and leaves them with some room for control, which for now, they are happy with. For example I might say, "Do you want to wear the purple bow or the pink one?" That leaves out the possibility (which there is a high probability for) of my 2-year-old screaming to wear the neon green bow that doesn't match at all. I use it for lots of other things as well that are much more important like lunch or what we will wear today. (The 2-year-old will quite possibly pick out sweats and toboggan to wear on the hottest day of the year, otherwise.) Well, it's backfired on me. Now what shall I do?!?

1 comment:

~Bennett's Blog~ said...

I like your new profile. I think it is way cute. I hope u don't mind me reading them. I always like seeing how people I know are doing.