Thursday, August 7, 2008

Music, Earth, and the beat of LIFE!

So I don't know if your a music lover or not (since I'm really not sure if anyone is REALLY reading my blog or not)....but I am a music lover. I'm not sure that says it adequately. I really LOVE music. I lose myself in it. I'm not sure ..actually I'm quite sure this is because I probably have such a precarious hold on my sanity. More so than the average person. And you thought I was kidding about the commitment papers. Sometimes I feel like I'm riding this real thin line between what I want ppl to see and what I really am. I'm closer to going over to the dark side than most ppl are because I'm riding that line pretty close.

For example ( I love giving examples in my blog for some reason), we went to a Puddle of Mudd concert the other night. Now, I am not a fan of theirs. Not that I don't like them but I've never really heard any of their music or paid attention to what songs they sing. My husband wanted to go. Not that he's a fan either. (I promise this story has an ending and a point.) So we met a couple of other couples there. Now even though I had not been a fan before I went, I did recognize a couple of their songs and I was enjoying myself....because I LOVE music, almost any kind of music. Especially live. If you've never been to a concert, your missing out. The beat from the speakers that moves your whole body, that denies you the ability to even THINK of anything else, that vibrates your very soul , the interaction with the crowd, the feeling of one body, one mind, one music, one soul for one moment . A connection with humanity, a connection that bridges all boundaries and says we may be different but this moment in time we are one.
The mob mentality if you let yourself think about it but don't think ....just let every other part of you but your mind ..just take control. I did. I wanted to. The other couples were standing by, being normal. Joking, talking and I have this pull. This part of me that says let go, throw your hands in the air, shake your head around, jump to the beat, move your body. It's almost an irresistible pull like the call of the wild. It says forget who you are and be the music, be someone different, be whoever you want to be, BE YOURSELF, be MORE yourself than you'll ever be standing here resisting the urge to let loose and lose control.

You know this love for music goes way back. Back in time. Since the dawn of time, music has played a role in civilization, communication, love, life....it still does. Different music makes us feel different ways. We chose our ring tones, put it on our web pages, listen to it in our cars...it's suppose to influence us to eat certain foods in restaurants or buy certain clothes in the store. Churches use it to creat moods and to induce feelings. Movies use music to help paint a picture or clue you into the mood. Music effects so much of our lives on a daily, hourly basis and I don't think we realize it. People have been using it to manipulate emotions since the first person probably beat out a tune on the ground or the trunk of a tree or a rock.

Classical music snobs like to look down their noses at music they think is below them or different. Some people make fun of country or some people think metal is just noise. Well, I know I can't account for people's personal taste because everyone has a right to it but I bet if we all open our minds we can find a place, an emotion or a time to fit ALL music. Even the music that you think isn't music.

Some of the most basic music I can think of is drums. I don't mean basic as in uncomplicated or I'm being snobby. I mean basic like the beat of your body. The movement of your feet. The swaying of your soul. To me drums are like a life beat. Like someone could find the beat you live your life to and put it on paper and play it. All music is like that. The guitar can sob for you or rock for you.

I'm not sure what makes a person a good dancer and what makes someone else suck at it. I'm pretty sure it's something your born with, like singing. You can't really be taught. You've either got some base talent or you don't. To me, dancing is just that moment when you let go of all your thoughts and your body and let the music take over. Maybe people who can't let go of their thoughts or let their body go free..their worried about being embarrassed or looking stupid, are the people who don't have the natural, innate ability to dance. Maybe it's just a matter of confidence.

Now I know I'm getting farther out there (your calling the people in the white coats right now, aren't you?) but I think part of it may be that I'm an earth sign. I know, your thinking I'm crazy...but sometimes I feel like I might be a little more in touch with my roots than most people and I don't mean my hair (cuz I haven't seen my original hair color in a long time) or even so much my family ..I mean the roots like the root of me. The part of me that some people would call the soul or the mind. The part that KNOWS *lifted eyebrows* things. The intuitive part. The part of me that I would never argue with because it's like trying to explain the impossible. The part of me that reads people and allows me to be myself. That instinctively knows about our connection to the earth and the environment. That part that thinks science should listen more to what people SAY instead of their little machines. The part that says homeopathic medicine COULD do the trick. The part that says mind over matter can move mountains like cancer maybe. The part of me that is a mother and a woman because I think that strengthens your ability to believe in psychic connections when you have children. I feel connected to my children in a way that is hard for me to explain unless you have children. And because I'm a woman I think that I'm more emotional open to things than a man would be.

I think what I'm trying to say with some of this random rambling is that because I live closer to the line, feel the undercurrent in the room, move to the music and can allow myself to not care what other people think is why some people love me and some people just think I'm crazy. I not only give me permission to be me but I give you permission to just be YOU.

1 comment:

SuzyQSparkles said...

I guess you have more archives I need to make time to comb through! Great post!