Friday, August 31, 2012

WHAAAT? and Giving the Gift of Breast Milk (do it!)r

Soooo, I don't know if this new friend thing is gonna work out. I met this chick ONE time at the park for a couple of hours. It went well.

Well, yesterday I was on the computer at like 8/830 a.m. on FB. I was still in bed but had made a FB update and then I liked Kyria's status about how she was going to encapsulate a placenta for a woman who had UC that night (unplanned). Anyways, she messaged me and asked if I would watch her kid for a couple hours. I was a little flabbergasted. Who asks someone to watch their kid that they met at a park for a couple of hours? She doesn't know me. We have a mutual friend but she didn't even ask her anything about me. I had been commenting back and forth on a Wall Post with this mutual friend saying how I would be home and she could come by around lunch to look at some girl clothes (I'm selling all my girl stuff that's less than a 2T). Sooo, Kyra knew I was going to be home. I said she could bring her by. She said she would be here in a half hour and I gave her my address. I jumped up and tried to make my house presentable (I warned her it wouldn't be that great). She arrived and I asked if she'd like to come in and look around. She said no, I'm in a hurry. Here is her bag of food and some diapers. She is gluten intolerant (which I did know) so she has carrots, hummus, dried seaweed snacks, dried apricots and some nuts. It's laundry day so I just put a plastic bag in here for dirty diapers (she cloth diapers). I was still a little shell shocked she didn't even want to look around. I mean she's a pretty crunchy AP Mom and here she's dropping her kid off with a stranger and has no questions. She left and I realized she didn't even give me her number!! I had no way to reach her in case of an emergency and she had no way to reach me! The little girl is not quite 2. It went ok though and Kyria arrived about the correct time to pick her up. She asked if she could get on my Internet and look some stuff up. She wanted to call this new Mom. She was being pressured into taking the baby to the hospital and Kyria wanted to help her and make this the wondrous experience it should be instead of let the hospital brow beat her into something stupid. She hung out for another hour or two. It felt longer, lol. She's very quiet which leaves you feeling like you must compensate in the conversation...or wonder why she isn't leaving if she doesn't want to talk, lol. Anyways, I'm not washing my hands of the whole thing just yet but I definitely felt some red flags fly up.

OH, and about her diapers. So the little girl was getting a little saggy and I decided to change her diaper. Kyria doesn't use anything fancy. They are some cheap pockets stuff with prefolds or covers with prefolds trifolded inside or some GMD (Green Mountain Diaper) fitteds with a cover. I went into the bag and these GMD fitteds were GROSS. I mean GROSS. They were stained and stiff. I know line drying can make them stiff (I often line dry mine. I have the exact same ones..even the color (the come in different sizes which are recognized by color)) but this was NOT that..I mean not all that. They were not cleaned well and so stiff that they would chafe your ass. I mean I don't even know how I would have bent them and put them on her. I WAS NOT putting those on that child. I don't care what her Mother sent. They were filthy...not just slightly stained. I mean dark brown nastiness. I was going to get some of Ezra's diapers but remembered her Mother did say that I would probably get a morning poop and I don't mind someone using Ezra's diapers but other kids poop....I wasn't in the mood to clean those. I did dig way down and find an acceptable pocket and I got one of Ezra's GMD prefolds and stuffed it and put it on her bum. Her diapers don't fit well either. Her little legs are skinny and they didn't have rise adjustments..or at least not the one I used. N-E-WAYS, I feel sorry for her poor bum, lol. I mean I know I sound all snobby and judgmental but Ezra's diapers are NOT like that. He has 2 diapers with stains (that's been bothering me and I need to sun them) but they are very light..you can tell it's a light stain, not poop that didn't get removed well.

Another notable thing I guess that happened was that I was nursing Ezra and the little girl came toward me and sounded like she said Mama and she got sad. She went to Kylie (my oldest daughter who was 'mothering' her) and hugged her and sat in her lap. I just thought she suddenly missed her Mom. Then when Kyria was here her daughter came to me and looked at my boobs and pulled on my shirt. I thought, is she wanting to nurse? I didn't say anything but she immediately went to Kyra and asked to nurse. THAT was what she wanted. I wonder if she is nursed by others often? I have always said I would nurse someones child if I was babysitting (and the Mother knew and was ok with it of course) or an occasion arises that I should need to but in the moment I thought....how awkward. I mean it didn't even dawn on me that is probably what happened when she saw me nursing Ezra til later. Having a situation arise like that makes me think more. There are so many things that on paper you think would be fine but when you actually see it in practice it's different...but it's just learning to open your inner eyes and look at it in a different light. Just because your not use to seeing it (or doing it) doesn't mean it's wrong. I'll never forget the first time this phenomenon occurred to me. I had a best friend who was gay and I knew it and I had even met some of his 'friends'. But the first time I saw him kiss a guy ....it was so awkward for me. But I thought I'll just have to get use to it. It's weird for me because I've never seen it. If I see it more then it will become 'normal' for me and I won't that that ...shock or awkward feeling. And it did. I soon accompanied him to the gay club and even on weekends with his dates. So just because I immediately felt awkward doesn't mean I always will. I wonder what Kyria's thoughts on this are? We did talk about donating breast milk and sites like Human Milk for Human Babies and Eats on Feets. I think those are WONDERFUL wonderful organizations. You know the WHO (World Health  Organization) actually recommends donated breast milk be given to your baby before formula? Breast milk is such a wonderful thing. I wish I had the willpower to pump. I just HATE pumping and I don't want to deal with the oversupply. That makes me feel selfish. Plus (ok, this is going to sound very cynical) I worry about why the person can't bf their babies. I wouldn't mind donating to a REAL need. I mean someone with cancer or surgery but not to someone who just wasn't informed and didn't know that they WERE making enough milk. Relactation is possible for those women in most cases. It's a hard job to pump and if someone is just handed that liquid gold I'm not sure they get the price that was paid for it. I know. I've pumped some and nothing makes me feel more like a cow. I was trying to get a freezer supply but I think we have 5 fucking ounces, haha and I gave up. That shit is for the cows.

Speaking of cows, that has been a whole pet peeve of mine lately. How come are we comfortable drinking the milk (meant for calves) of another species but are weirded out by drinking our own species milk? Cows are milked and handled in deplorable conditions. They often have E.Coli and mastitis. Their milk is so full of crap that it is basically broken down and rebuilt by the the pasteurizing and homogenizing process. We are the only species that drink the milk of another species. We are the only species that continue to drink milk past childhood. WHY? Would you drink dog milk? Well, why cows? I'm not drinking calf milk anymore. I will cook with it but that's it...and I will probably use coconut or almond milk if I can...I would use my own if I could pump, haha. And the kids are not gonna be forced to drink it at school either. They said if I supply the children with water that they can drink that. Sounds like a plan to me. We get Vit D from lots of other sources (including the sun) as well as calcium. The Chinese don't drink milk and they have the lowest occurrence of osteoporosis.

I want to pass on my knowledge to my children. I was nursing without a cover a few days ago at the park and Kylie yelled Don't you need your cover? That makes me sad that she thinks I need to hide or be ashamed of feeding my baby when he's hungry. That cover is hot and Ezra has started pulling it off when he can. Why should he feed under a blanket? People who have a problem with it should eat their dinner under a blanket then tell me how it is. She is 100% for bfing and cloth diapering though. She is also an intactivist. I have thought that I hope she doesn't go to school and tell everyone how they shouldn't cut foreskins off baby boy's penises, haha. I'll be in the principals office before the year is up I bet, lol. Ah well, she's right. We shouldn't.

Pardon for the jumbled post. I start to write about one thing then leap to another thing then off again.

No comments: