Monday, December 13, 2010

Two Sides at War

Reading my last post reminded me of a post I was gonna make a few days ago....I love some of the old houses downtown. I love the oldness, the shape, the stories, the history...I love old things. I love antiques and old hardwood floors...

But this part of me directly contradicts the part of me that loves the modern. For example, yes I love books (the kind u can hold in your hand) but I own a Nook. I love vinyl records. I love the static noise and I even love when it skips. I love the smell of vinyl and the feel and the part where you have to treat it right and respect the vinyl so it doesn't get scratched. So many old things remind me of my childhood. BUT I own an iPad, iPod, CD's. I love black and white movies...I love Gigi and the Sound of Music...and lots of old movies but I go to the movies a lot...the modern ones. When I look at houses, part of me loves that old houses are ORIGINAL (high praise in my book). I hate cookie cutter architecture..I hate cookie cutter anything really. I love that a contractor didn't go in there building a million houses with similar floor plans and features. But I love modern convenience. I love the way stainless steel looks, I love a sleek, modern look..clean lines and no frills. I like the idea of shucking off the hodge podge assortment of life and going with bare living.

Anyways, I just wanted you to know blog that I realize I contradict myself..and it's not that I'm lying or even changing my mind...I'm just at war with myself here. Maybe I will find a happy medium one day...an old house with modern updates....or something like it.

No comments: