Thursday, March 22, 2012

Birth IS natural. Just like breastfeeding.

So I went to a breastfeeding class last night which was so nice. It was really great and the lc spent a lot of time on breast crawling which I'm fascinated with and definitely plan on doing. She seems to really know her stuff ABOUT BREASTFEEDING. She's new to town and we only have ONE OB office here (with several OB's) and her office is there and she's currently trying to get privileges at the hospital. She had a checklist for breastfeeding that had things like: Don't give my baby a bottle/paci. I would like an immediate hour of skin-2-skin. I would like my baby to room in...etc. When asked by some of the ladies in the class if their wishes would be met when they gave the list to the nurse she could only keep repeating, "It depends on what nurse you get and all you can do is ask and they might say no.". Are you kidding me? I wanted to scream every time she gave those women that advice. This is your body and YOUR baby. Did they carry that baby nourishing it with their bodies for the last 10 months? Did they just push that baby out? Is that baby half their genetic code? Will they be taking that child home with them in a few hours? How can a nurse know what is better for my baby/my body than ME? Why should I have to ask some one's permission what to do with my baby and my body? That seems so backwards to me. Here she is preaching about how for years women birthed themselves, laid the babies on their chests and went to sleep and babies are NATURALLY made to root and find the breast on their own. Yet at the same time she's acting like birth ISN'T natural. When she was answering one of my questions and kept referring to the nurses I felt the need to explain I wouldn't be bothered with that because I was birthing at home and immediately she's like...I could never have done that. It would scare me. BIRTH SCARES YOU but breastfeeding is natural? Newsflash: Just like that baby knows how to root for a breast and find it. My body knows how to birth a baby. Boo-ya!

No comments: