Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I am still on a journey.

I started a FB update...but then thought it was running a little long and might be better as a blog. This was it:

"I swear I just saw some chick say that she didn't want to use her breasts for feeding. They make easier ways to do that now because it's the 21st century. How does she think we got to the 21st century? Formula is no comparison to breast milk. FACT. Get informed, get supported and find out how easy it can be! It's natural, it's normal, it's using our breasts for their intended purpose. *steps off soapbox* If you can't breastfeed I highly recommend a milk nurse, donor milk, a supplemental nursing device and then organic formula (homemade might be best). Formula companies LIE. "

Formula companies. LIE. Yes, they do. They seem to be supporting breastfeeding but after all if they REALLY do that then they are out of business because women are gonna connect the dots. We have more childhood cancers and diseases than ever before. Do I think it's all formula? No, I don't have the answer. I just know we need to change things. We need to start thinking really hard about what foundations for healthy eating habits we are laying down in our kids. Not only breast milk but child led weaning. Child led weaning is the baby feeding themselves. Ezra has never been spoon fed. He only eats what he wants and how much he wants. It's easy to overfeed them if your spooning food into their mouth. I have often heard AP/ natural parenting described as lazy and I won't lie, it's THAT easy. The saying goes 'Food for fun before 1'. I love LOVE that Ezra is still getting all the nutrients he needs from me. Everything he NEEDS. If he sleeps through every meal today (in various naps of course, not one giant one) it's no problem because as long as he's nursing I am fulfilling his nutrition needs. How awesome is that! My milk is freaking awesome.

Child led weaning is so easy. Ezra at 9 months would eat what he wanted from in front of him and leave the rest or he may only eat a little of some and a lot of another. I think our cravings in pregnancy and every day life (well, within reason..probably not my crazy chocolate craving..that's more of an addiction) are our bodies way of telling us what we NEED. I want Ezra to listen to his body. He will know what he needs and when he is full. I think breastfeeding and child led weaning are key in putting a stop to obesity issues in childhood in this country. Is it the ONLY answer? No. There are other factors to consider but I do think those are two major ones.

I think eating healthier foods without pesticides or that have been genetically modified are important. I think we need to pay attention to what is going in our bodies and in some cases on our bodies since our skin is our largest organ and absorbs so well. Birth control patches and nicotine patches anyone? I mean we realize it absorbs but we put products on it that we can't even pronounce the name of.

I wish that I had thought to blog my journey. I was just commenting the other day that here to where I am has been a journey...a journey I am still on. I can't even remember where it started but it's snowballed. I wish I had thought to bring you on this journey with me, my friends. It's so hard to go back and remember what study I read or what info I saw that led me here. I even left my husband behind to some extent. He doesn't understand my unschooling. Unschooling is a journey that is just starting for me but so far I am very excited.

No comments: