Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Circumcision and some decisions so far...

It feels good to have some decisions out of the way and since I use my blog as a more personal space (where I can be angry and hurt and honest and outspoken and REAL) than FB then it feels appropriate to post some decisions here...plus this is a place where I can write and expect people not to have input..usually. After doing some research I have decided.......that I am ok with the antibiotic ointment in the baby's eyes AS LONG AS IT'S NOT SILVER NITRATE and I'm ok with the Vit K shot (though I would like to know if the oral is available...just so I can decide between the two) BUT we're opting out of the Hep B newborn shot right after birth. We might be opting out altogether (I'll decide later) but we're definitely delaying that little bugger. OH and we're not circumcising (that was such an easy decision and so easy with the hubs ...I am thankful). I'm glad that he's leaving this part all to me and doesn't make me explain every little decision to him. In retrospect, I guess he SHOULD have more concern about some crucial things but honestly it just makes my life easier when he doesn't oppose me, lol. And his life too. ;)

I can't remember if I wrote a blog on circumcision and since I don't feel like checking then here I will list the reason why I will LEAVE INTACT...in order of importance:

1. I don't believe my baby will arrive needing cosmetic changes. Period. Whether you believe God made him or he's a product of genetic mutations over time..blah blah blah...the foreskin is there and will stay there.

2. It can be removed later (on so MANY levels..partials and different types of removals..I mean really the options are endless for what you can leave or take) but cannot be replaced (though to be fair there are men who try to basically reshape them a foreskin (OH I HAVE READ ABOUT THEM SO BELIEVE) but it's really never the same). To make that sentence less confusing, It can be removed later but not replaced later. And it can be fairly painless and there are multiple options and levels of removal if he decides he wants it and decides what and how he wants it. His penis, his choice.

3. I believe (this is only my belief on reading some material) that his foreskin will enhance his sexual relations and perhaps his partners as well. That's enough said on that subject since the idea of my baby boy having sexual relations is creeeeeepy.

There aren't good enough reasons TO remove it:
1. It's unclean. From what I've read it's like any other body part or person...he will have to be taught to clean it appropriately and it shouldn't be a problem. Most country's DON'T circumcise their babies.

2. It looks WEIRD. HAHA. I find this the funniest. I admit it is different. I have googled a ton of penis' so I know. ;) But I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;) Hopefully that many people will not be looking at my baby's penis and for those lucky ladies that do they better think it's beautiful...or better yet they shouldn't judge my baby on his penis. I'm sure he's gonna have many other fantastic features to worry about. Bottom line: It isn't ugly and if you think it is...don't look at it.

3. "Because his Daddy is". STUPID. His Daddy has black hair but if my baby should be born a blonde I will not dye his hair upon entry so he can look like his Daddy. WTF? I have big giant boobs and I don't want my girls to be burdened by anything like that. Our children weren't meant to be carbon copies of us and that is just the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Doing anything only because someone else did it is just not justifiable. Period. His Daddy smokes but I certainly hope my baby never does. That is the worst reason of them all.

4. So he won't be different. Statistically, not circumcising is on the rise. He will probably be in good company with 50% (if not higher) of other boys...plus this goes up there with "because his Daddy is". Who cares what other people do? And if he doesn't like it, he can be circumcised. That's an option I'm leaving for him.


With ALL the stuff I read these are the reasons I chose not to circumcise. I thought some of the reasons were stupid....like he'll hate me forever if I circumcise him...I don't think so. Or that he'll remember the pain for the rest of his life...no, I don't think that either. Or comparing girl circumcision to boy circ...I see the logic but I don't follow that train all the way there. I think it's a tad bit painful looking but not like it's abuse or horrific. I think people that choose to do it are fine. Different strokes for different folks. I just hope they are making an informed choice and then if that's their decision..well and good.

No comments: